On the first edition OS map of 1856, there’s no such place as North Skelton, only Foggo Farm stands alone in the fields.
The slider below shows the massive changes that took place between 1856 and 1896.
So why is it called “North Skelton” when it’s to the South-East of Skelton ?!
Work on the new mine had started back in 1865 at a drift site near Marske Mill, which is genuinely to the North, but drainage problems lead to this site being abandoned.

The name however had stuck and was used again at the new location, where a shaft was started on 16th February 1869.
Progress was slow and difficult, with water inflow of up to 3320 gallons per minute being encountered before ironstone was finally reached 720 feet down on 12th December 1873.

(from Skelton in Cleveland in History – http://www.skeltonincleveland.com/Skelton1871_1871.html )
North Skelton was the last survivor in the Cleveland Ironstone district, finally closing on 17th January 1964.